Shipping different items or goods is full of different methods and terms, and one of the most important terms related to shipping is direct shipping and transshipment, and there is a big difference between each of them, and each method has a number of advantages that the other method does not provide, along with a number of disadvantages as well, and in This article will show you everything you need to know about direct shipping and transshipment, as well as what is the most appropriate shipping method between them and what are the factors for choosing the appropriate method.
What is Direct Shipment?
It means that the ordered items are shipped from start to finish through a direct route, which means that those items are transported directly from the port of origin to the port of destination.
Or in other words, direct freight means that the ship transporting the goods does not need to stop at any intermediate ports to unload its cargo, but rather moves directly to the final destination. Have you heard about Cargo Tracking ?
What is Transshipment?
It is not the same as Direct Shipment; it is a shipping method, in which items are shipped to an intermediate destination first before being shipped to the final destination,
Meaning that the ship that transports the items can unload those items or goods they are carrying through an intermediate port.
Usually, this method is used when the first method, direct shipment, is not available
Direct Shipment vs. Transshipment
There are a number of differences between direct shipping and transshipment, and here are the main differences between them:
- Direct shipping does not use any intermediate ports, but rather transports the required items directly to the final destination,
- As for the transshipment, it uses the intermediate ports before transporting the items to the final destination, and the following are the most prominent differences:
- Direct shipping reduces the time taken in transit, because there is no need to unload the cargo in an intermediate port, while Transhipment takes longer in transit due to the unloading and loading operations that take place while using an intermediate port.
- By using the direct shipping method, the risk of delay is avoided, as the shipment moves from the starting point to its final destination without using intermediate ports,
- Unlike transshipment, where this method is more prone to the risk of delay due to the additional time it takes to unload the cargo at an intermediate port. Diggipacks provides you with track shipment.
Which Shipping Method Should I Use?
After we got to know both direct shipping and Transhipment and the most prominent differences between them, you may now be wondering, what is the appropriate method that I can choose while shipping goods?
In fact, the answer to this question depends on the nature of the shipment, as well as your capabilities, as:
- Direct shipping method is most suitable if you want to ship the goods urgently i.e. you don’t want any delays, and also if you can afford direct shipping cost, because usually direct shipping is more expensive than transshipment.
- If you want a less expensive option, Transhipment is the most suitable for you, and it will also be suitable if you do not want to ship the goods urgently, or there is no other shipping method available other than transshipment, of course you will use it.
What are the benefits of direct shipping over transshipments?
There are a number of benefits offered by the direct shipping logistics, as:
1. Avoid any potential delays
As we talked about, the direct shipping method transports items from the starting point to the final destination without using any intermediate ports,
And therefore there is no time lost in the event of crowding of intermediate ports or during unloading and loading operations.
2. Save time
The direct shipping method also has the advantage of reducing transit time, because there is no need to use intermediate ports to unload the cargo in the middle of the shipping journey.
When should I use Transhipment to transport my cargo?
Here are a number of factors that indicate that you should use Transhipment method to transport goods:
1. If you want an affordable option
The direct shipping method is more expensive, so if you want an affordable and budget-friendly shipping method, then of course Transhipment is right for you.
2. If there is no direct path available
Sometimes you will need to use the Transhipment method if there are no other direct routes available, in many cases there are no direct routes especially if the desired destinations are far apart.
3. If you want to avoid customs duties and import duties
One of the most important advantages of the Transhipment method is that it is less expensive and helps avoid paying some tariffs and import duties.
What different documents are required if the shipment is not direct but transshipment?
As for the documents required in the case of transshipments, they are exactly the same as those required in the case of direct shipments.
There is no difference between them; you only need to submit the documents you need at the destination. The following are the most important documents required:
- Commercial Invoice.
- Packing List.
- Packing Declaration.
- Certificate of Origin.
- General Declarations.